Monday, April 28, 2008



Sunday was our day to do hooves on the mommy goats. As I was doing chores I looked over the fence and saw two new baby goats. Since it was a cool, damp day , I gathered them up and put them in a stall. As Mother came alonge reluctantly,I notice that I am holding two more boys. That makes 15 boys and 5 girls.







Umbilical cords are cut and iodine applied. The babies each get a shot of bo-se and covexin 8. Mommy gets fresh hay and water and wormed. When I am sure the babies are drinking they are left alone to get acquainted





Now I started the day with doing hooves. Goats need to have their hooves done about once a month but realistically they get done every two to three months. My girls were done in January. So their hooves were pretty bad.







We get them in a pen . Buddy, my farm helper and I each grab a horn and flip the girl to the barn floor. He does the front feet and I do the back. 19 goats later, we are tired and dirty but my girls are walking on flat feet again.







Later that day we took the corgi's to the park to get them acquainted with the real world of people and children. Mr Weasly does great but Hermione is still fearful of the noises.

No comments: