Friday, April 25, 2008

Pizza at the Farm?

We had pizza delivered to our front door and egg plant parmigiana. Fifteen years of living in the isolated country, with my city friends visiting and having no place to call in food or to eat out, we finally got a pizza delivery place and the food is good.

So how come two people who love to cook ordered in pizza on a Thursday night? I volunteered to help a friend with shearing. She has arrhythmia and can't shear her own sheep. My job was to help with the skirting of the fleeces--a job that I love.

The temperature was 80 degrees and we did not get started until high noon. 50 sheep later it is hot and I am dirty. A shower, glass of wine and dinner is looking wonderful. BUT the shearer decides he wants to do my two goats- Lemoney and son. Lemoney is not the easiest buck to deal with. Buddy and I manage to get him to the shearing room before the shearer arrives.

By now it is 5:30, and that glass of wine on the kitchen counter is calling. This is a new shearer and it is obvious that he does not know how to shear goats especially a large angora Buck with an attitude. But at 6:30 we are all through with the shearing. Buddy and I are going to finish by doing hooves and moving the boys to the lower pasture. We fiqure it would be easier when he is tired.

By 7, the boys are all sheared, hooved and moved. The pizza has arrived and as soon as the girls are put back in their pasture , I can have my wine and food. But what is that moaning in the upper pasture.? #17 is having a baby and is having trouble. I have to pull her baby which is the 14th boy born this year. We move her to the barn and watch as a goat gets it's head caught in the fence. By now I am so tired that all I can do is laugh.

By 8 0'clock, I have showered and am sitting at the table with my wine and pizza. What a relief not to have to cook dinner.

No comments: