Monday, May 5, 2008

Five months old and that old bull was after me. I must have matured early because 9 months later I am about to have a calf and WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO DO TO ME?

Send me to the stockyard.



This is the practical farmer talking. To keep this calf, it would cost about $200 dollars in vet bills, and or $ 60 for Valley Protein to take her away when she died. If she were to produce a healthy calf, she would remain small all her life.



This is what I had to deal with this week. We wormed all the cows and calves. Two old "Hussies" as my farm manager calls them, broke out of the fence and into another pasture away from their babies. Much swearing and chasing,both on foot and on the four wheeler finely got them back to their proper pasture.
My friend Anna Maria showed up to help in the studio. She is good at motivating me. All the mohair/wool that I had dyed is ready to spin and the shawl on the loom is finished.

Before the rains came( 2 1/4 inches so far), we got the tomatoes, peonys,beans and roses in the ground. The rain should make them all smile.

No comments: